Judge Movies in Italy, Canada or India!
Application deadline: May 2, 2017 (10:00 a.m.)
Information Meeting and Interviews: May 2, 2017 (6:007:30 p.m.)
Facets gives YOU the opportunity to visit a film festival in Italy, Canada or India as a Facets Film Ambassador youth delegate. Through a collaborative partnership with the host Festival, the Facets Film Ambassadors program is an extraordinary immersion into the culture and language of the host country/region. Furthermore, Film Ambassadors have the unique multi-cultural experience of screening dozens of international films as well as the opportunity to discuss and critique the films with other youth delegates attending from around the globe. Join us in helping your child experience the "world of cinema".
- ALL opportunities are age-specific. See information below.
- Participants are responsible for cost of air transportation to and from host country and spending money. When in host country, participants will be provided accommodations (via homestay or hotel), transportation to and from events, and some meals.
- Participants will be required to give written and verbal reviews of films appropriate to their age group. English is an "official language" at all festivals except Rimouski, Canada at which French is the exclusive language.
Giffoni International Film Festival
Festival dates: July 1323, 2017
(Travel dates: July 1124; arrive into Naples, Italy July 12)
Giffoni, Italy, the largest children's film festival in Europe, annually pushes the envelope with cutting edge cinema for youth and a child & teen jury of over 900 participants. With film screenings each day and concerts each night, Jury members will be immersed in Italian culture and make new friends from around the world.
- 2 delegate will be chosen ages 1315 (Born from August 1, 2001 to July 31, 2004)
- 1 delegates will be chosen ages 1617 (Born from July 15, 1999 to July 31 2001)
- 1 delegates will be chosen ages 1822 (Born before July 15, 1999)
- 1 parent chaperone
Carrousel International Film Festival of Rimouski
Rimouski, Quebec, Canada
Festival dates: October 18, 2017
(Approximate travel dates: Sept. 29Oct. 9)
The Children's Carrousel International Film Festival in Rimouski, Canada is a week-long extravaganza with film screenings and workshops. But make sure you "Parlez vous français" because you will need to have an intermediate to fluent knowledge of French to attend.
- 12 delegates will be chosen, ages 1317
- Delegates must be speak French at an intermediate to fluent level
International Children's Film Festival India (2017 only)
Approximate dates: November 1117, 2017
(Approximate travel dates: November 918)
The International Children's Film Festival India (a.k.a. Golden Elephant Film Festival) is dedicated to films produced internationally for children and youth. The bi-annual event organized by the Children's Film Society of India, and is one of the premiere festivals of movies for young people, in the world. The Festival attracts audiences in the thousands and welcomes over 300 children from all over India to participate in their Jury.
- 48 delegates may be chosen, ages 1315
Application and Interview:
- Your child must be of the appropriate age range for the opportunity (see top section for details).
- Your child must be currently enrolled in Facets Kids Film Camp, a graduate of Facets Kids Film Camp, or show demonstrable knowledge of film, film vocabulary, production and/or critique or review.
- Participants families must have funds available for airline ticket cost (cost varies annually and per destination but typically is between $900$1800). We recommend spending money ($200$500).
- Participants must have a valid passport or be able to obtain a valid passport prior to time of travel.
2. Attend the Informational Meeting and Interview.
- Information Meeting and Interviews: May 2, 2017 (approx. 6:007:30 p.m.) The interview will last 12 hours. at Facets (1517 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago).
- In the meeting, parents and children will have the opportunity to find out more about these travel opportunities, about what it means to be a youth delegate, about the process of travel internationally (passport, accommodations, transportation, costs), and about what an average day at these events is like.
- The interview will offer the candidates a brief introduction to media education and will include verbal discussion about a film, a written review, and an individual on-camera review.
Participants who have been selected will be contacted within two weeks. Participants must have a valid passport to travel.
A request for chaperones goes out to all families of delegates. Those interested in chaperoning the group should contact Kathleen immediately. For most festivals, expenses such as room, transportation in host country, festival events and some food is covered by host festival for one chaperone. If an adult chaperone is not available through the participants in the group, we may not be able to send the delegation. Chaperone candidates may have to submit a statement of interest/background and be interviewed.
A final meeting will be held with the selected participants (and their parents) in the weeks prior to travel. At the meeting, delegates and their families will have a chance to meet, delegates will be informed of their responsibilities, and questions will be answered by Festival staff and a past delegate and chaperone about the event they are attending.
All International Delegates ages 1317 are invited to participate in the CICFF's Children's or Youth Jury. The Children's Jury takes place in August and the Youth Jury takes place in September. Passes to the Chicago International Children's Film Festival are given to all Children's and Youth Jury members.
Please contact 773.281.9075 or firstname.lastname@example.org